Sunday, July 16, 2006

editor & input requested;cover letter/job hunt- toronto

Dear Planet in Focus-

My name is Sarah Fowler; I am an independent media artist and am currently working on a feature documentary exploring the physical and spiritual ecosystems of East Africa. My assets include experience teaching many subjects to diverse age groups, creativity building and fundraising for art and charity. I currently live in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and I was born in Ontario, Canada and will be arriving in Toronto on September 15. I have a worked in collabouration with Planet in Focus in the past, as they supported a screening in Ottawa of Blue Vinyl to build momentuem for the One World Film Festival. I expect that you will find my skills and experience perfectly suited to the position available.

Firstly I would like to illustrate my teaching experience. It is varied and has allowed me a strong foundation in which to fill the position of youth camera instrustor. I have taught swimming lessons to children ages 2-16, been a personal tutor in grade four math and english as a second langauge, plus film techniques including picture and sound editing to an open audience and workshop participants. I also have developed my leadership and camera skills further by being the primary director of photography on my own films.

I have always had a deep interest in our shared global environement. When i was younger I was a Girl Scout and have since developed my eco-awareness by fundraising from The David Suzuki Foundation and Greenpeace. This lead me to have a larger understanding of pressing issues and regional details but also added greatly to my role as public awareness person or motivator. My recent involvement with the Jane Goodall Institute, has presented me a prospect to organize an art-photo contest and exhibition in occasion of African Child Day. The best aspect of this contest was that the award winners were democratically elected by their peers; meaning that students were reminded that their opinions had weight and their bold actions were filled with power. Also, I delivered project managment seminars to students in primary and secondary schools in Dar es Salaam. Due to my interest in coastal challanges and our equally polluted media environement I often find myself viewing press coverage from a contrasting perspective.

My abilities in the community and communitication construct are my most confident. I have a strong commitment to the swahili language and culture having lived in the region for nearly a year. This wonderful challenge has allowed me the time and space to fully explore my documentary angles in various communities of Kenya and Tanzania. Furthermore it is a mutual opportunity for me to learn new communication skills while immersing my talent in a developing market. I have been pictured in the daily newspaper, The Citizen, for organizing a beach clean up in Msasani on Earth Day. In addition, I have been film selection coordinator for World Interaction Mondiale's annual One World film festival. I attended Hot Doc’s Documentary festival on their behalf and currently am comminicating from Zanzibar for ZIFF- Film Festival of the Dhow countries which exhibits film, music and culture. A pertinent community service contribution is to the Independent Filmmakers Co-operative of Ottawa. I served on IFCO's Board of Directors for two years; one as president elect. Integrating contributions from my team, allowed us the accomplishments of submitting multi-year action plans to stakeholders, fabricating production grant criteria, constructing cultural equity policy and encouraging a membership of 200 plus media artist to complete masterpieces for our gala screening.

My interests include experimental cinema, exotic languages and working with empowered individuals. I can often be found addressing groups of students on environemental issues or at special events as a face painting clown. I am a direct communicator with much patience for different levels of understanding. I have public speaking awards and hope to study biology by sailing the seven seas.

My coordinates are found at the top to my included curriculum vitae.
If you have any questions, please contact me.


Sincerely,


Sarah M. Fowler



Cover letter - general
My name is Sarah Fowler; I am an independent media artist and professional fundraiser. I currently live in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and I was born in Ontario, Canada. I came to East Africa to direct a feature documentary about human evolution however I found myself getting involved in numerous activities. Recently my involvement with the Jane Goodall Institute, has presented me a prospect to organize an art-photo contest and exhibition in occasion of African Child Day. I expect that you will find my creative energy and diverse experience suited to the position available.

With all the skills I am confidence in; it is my abilities as a fundraiser that affords me the most success in my artistic ventures. I have practice on many levels, ranging from local charities, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO’s) to the development of grant applications for film projects and community activities. I have a firm grasp on English grammar and can fuse facts to poetry effortlessly. In addition, I have worked with the group World Interaction Mondiale as film selection coordinator for their annual One World film festival, attending Hot Doc’s Documentary festival on their behalf. My plans for July are to be involved with ZIFF (Zanzibar international) festival of the Dhow countries which exhibits film, music and culture.

Administratively I have performed in the Canadian House of Commons as an assistant to a member of parliament. Perhaps the most pertinent is my contribution to the Independent Filmmakers Co-operative of Ottawa (IFCO) Board of Directors, where I served for two years; one as president elect. Integrating contributions from my team, allowed us the accomplishments of submitting multi-year action plans to stakeholders, fabricating production grant criteria, constructing cultural equity policy and encouraging a membership of 200 plus media artist to complete masterpieces for our gala screening. Part of my responsibly was to monitor the executive director, ensure checks and balances, prepare agendas, serve as chairperson and to act as a contact for media and crisis situation.

A wonderful challenge I have embarked upon is my commitment in Swahili communities of Kenya and Tanzania. Furthermore it is a mutual opportunity for me to learn new communication skills while immersing my talent in a developing market and new media domain. My interests include environmental cinema, exotic languages and working with empowered individuals. I can often be found addressing groups of students or at special events as a face painting clown. I have competed regularly in public speaking and have received awards.

My coordinates are found at the top to my included curriculum vitae.
If you have any questions, please contact me.


Sincerely,


Sarah Fowler

No comments: