Friday, April 04, 2014

Observations from my vacation

location: environment: home again home again jigging jig.
Observations from my vacation

Not once but twice I used a public toilet after what seemed
to be a grown man to find the mild aggression of urine
sprinkled from 5 to 7 on the clock face of the seat.
Instead of the common culturally accepted practice to put
the seat up when you pee standing up into a toilet it felt like
this person was saying "I got mine so, fuck any one who comes
after me." A societal anthem which is founded on selfish greed
and explains the need for more environmental justice. My motto
is to imagine a yesteryear today whereby I try my best to teach
my two year old to clean up her own messes; so telling myself I
don't know their what their ability might be,  I did the only thing
I could do, make it right, lead by example, clean the seat so I might use it.
Now I am definitely far from perfect and since I have a tendency
to judge harshly I did my best to turn the other cheek, admitting
myself to be guilty of screaming at my child to stop yelling!
Oh sweet paradox; do as I say, not as I do, but I remember
being a child and feeling as though I knew only a few role models
of good behaviour and that the biggest teaching was achievement
at all cost. No matter the circumstances, excel, be the best you can.
While taking a night stroll that follow a nap where I fell asleep with
my daughter, we both slept too late which caused us to be awaked
at a inappropriate hour, I saw a someone trying to sleep in a doorway.
It was a very cold night and the female was clearly uncomfortable,
feebly trying to cover her head with a scarf for some sembalence of warmth.
In the minutes it took me to walk past her my head was filled with a great
mass of thoughts. Could I invite her into the place we had rented for a
month of vacation in the city? would we be safe? what was her story?
But a short time later she was the victim of being out of sight and
Out of mind, the attention instead on the glamour of window displays.
The possessions of material success, measures of commodified beauty.
I find the utopian dream of fairness and kindness so captivating,
Ideally I want to have unending patience and compassion.
In a perfect world I can take my kid to the art gallery and explain the
numerous depictions of the crucifiction without having to keep at a
distance from the bigger than life relief entitled " massacre of innocents."

No comments: